Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It Starts...

OK, so here it goes. My first legit blog post. Ever. And I have no idea what I am doing. So forgive the poor writing style and bad grammar.
Some people have asked me why I named the website www.notyetbroken.com. It's a good question. I try and explain it in the "About this site" section on the webpage, but it may not have been clear enough. 
So here is a little story from life that may help explain it. Last fall I was at the beach. I don't even remember how my mind got there, but for some reason, I just kept thinking about the problems of the world, and they were really getting to me. There just seemed to be so many issues out there, so many people seemed to be hurting, and it just made me wonder why we are even here. I don't know why I was slammed with all these thoughts at the beach, but for some reason that is where it happened. Typically, I find the ocean's waves very soothing. That day, however, they sounded like the thunderclap of impending doom and they were only getting stronger. As my mind thought through more and more ugly things in the world, I looked down at the sand dune and saw a few flowers sticking up among the dry grass. There were a couple of butterflies hopping around on the foliage and it was so refreshing. I literally took a deep breath and had a little chuckle, it was like getting that first gasp of air when you are swimming in the deep end. 
I stopped worrying about all the problems in the world, and I stopped being frustrated, and just sat there enjoying the beauty of that one moment. It was as if God was saying, "Hey, the world may be messed up, but I still am at work here. So take it easy until I solve everything, and if you ever start enjoying my creation, maybe you can even help fix things." That one piece of beauty was enough to remind me that everything in the world is not yet broken, and that there is, in fact, good here. 
I know that I am not the only one with problems. Everyone deals with them. Some are very real and occur in the present, while others may be vague and intangible. Whatever the case, I think everyone needs a reminder from time to time that the world is not completely broken. That is the major reason I made the website, to give people reminders of the good things in the world. To encourage people to find good things and make them grow. To give people a reason to hope and to show that God is still at work in the world. 
So I hope you enjoy this blog entry, and the rest that are to come. And if you're feeling down or bored or whatever, than take a visit to http://www.notyetbroken.com. Maybe you'll find something there that will make you smile and give you that deep breath, just like the flower on the beach did for me.

No comments: